Back with a BANG *insert sound effect here*. This is my first blog post back on the world of professional wrestling. This won’t be me recapping shows. it’ll be more about me giving the opinions on things I care about. I’m not going to sit and rate matches on RAW or tell you what happened in each promo, if you want that there’s plenty of other places to go. For me, mostly, I’ll be just throwing out some opinions, some analysis and maybe just writing whatever comes to my mind.
I’ve decided that I’m going to give my opinions on the week’s shows in one blog and any news I want to talk about will be separate in another blog post. So…stay tuned for my opinions on this week’s RAW, NXT and Lucha Underground tomorrow.
So, as everyone knows now, Roman Reigns has been suspended for 30 days making him absent for the entire build-up to the Battleground triple threat. I’m not going to speculate what he took but the man owned up to it and owned it which I think deserves credit. It was obviously all planned to come out when it did and I do believe the rumours that WWE knew prior to MITB and that’s why they put the briefcase on Dean. Regardless it seems that WWE have stumbled into something more entertaining so I can only criticise their lack of forethought to have planned to do this IF the rumours are true that they knew.
What kind of makes this worse, for me, was that Rollins’ promo at the beginning of RAW was very accurate to the way I feel. I’m anything but a Roman hater to clarify, I think he’s great in the ring and I don’t even think his promo work is that bad, he’s improved so much but his booking is shambolic to be fair. Anyway, why does Roman get to have a title shot after breaking the rules? I know it’s not real but even still, I think if Roman wins at Battleground it sets a bit of a bad precedent. Don’t get me wrong, everyone makes mistakes, the guy (pun intended) is going to serve his time, do his suspension and come back on TV and kick ass but I think that this should and will hinder his push. I’m not saying he should be dropped to NXT or anything ridiculous like that but WWE should let him cool off for a bit. I think in the long term this could relegate Reigns from being a top player on the level of Cena to an Orton level but that’s hardly much of a step down. I think the consequences will be similar to HHH’s after the curtain call, maybe not as drastic though. Perhaps, hindering his push might actually be a good thing for him, he might garner more support if he’s dropped down the card. Is this a blessing in disguise? Only time will tell.
There’s something else I’ve seen online recently and heard floating around. It’s this rumour that this is going to be part of the story line and I don’t really believe that at all but I would like to talk about the prospect of this. So, if this was them wanting or hoping that this would make Reigns look more relatable and create a positive fan reaction then I think it’s the worst idea WWE have come up with. I don’t think there very little possibility of the guy getting a good reaction upon his return. People don’t like him already and making out as if he’s overcoming drugs or whatever won’t garner sympathy. It’ll make people think he’s an idiot for ruining his chance. I’m not someone who says Roman doesn’t ‘deserve’ it, because nobody deserves anything in wrestling but if you can’t see that he’s been given every chance to succeed then you are blind. If WWE are serious about not turning him heel then this guy needs to come back and just lose and lose and lose and lose and lose, every week. If he does come out at Battleground and pin Ambrose clean though this could be the end of any potential Reigns’ babyface run in the future so WWE need to be careful.
But even then, why bother, why not just turn him heel? It would be so easy to make him heel and have Dean get beaten down by him weekly and I’m sure the crowds would love it. Anyway all I’m saying is that this will probably stop the world being gift wrapped for Roman or at least WWE will likely remove the bow on top of the gift.
Brand Extension w/ Additions to the Roster
So, since they’ve announced the this brand extension, RAW has really took a nose dive in terms of quality. It was really good for the first two months after Wrestlemania 32 despite the actual event being one of the worst and longest wrestling events I hope to ever sit through. Anyway, this is probably because WWE are too busy worrying about which wrestler is going to be positioned on each show and questioning how they’ll ever manage to make 5 hours of wrestling entertaining when they can barely (barely is being generous) manage to entertain me for 3. I’m hoping to do a blog of the positives and negatives of the Brand Extension in the forthcoming weeks so that’s all I’ll say about that.
Anyway, I’ve been seeing rumours that WWE are reaching out to older superstars such as Kurt Angle, Carlito, MVP and Stevie Richards. I’d just like to point out now that Kurt Angle would be an absolute gold signing and is probably the best free agent in professional wrestling currently and I’d be really excited to see him come back for a few feuds as long as his health calls for it. Also, he might be one of the only people, arguably including Jeff Hardy, who’s career in TNA hasn’t effected their worth too much.
Similarly, Carlito and MVP would probably be good additions to the roster, particularly in the mid card which is where they really need some more depth and both could add something to both Smackdown and RAW rosters, after all, anyone is more entertaining than Del Rio and Sheamus right? Stevie Richards is about where my positivity ends on the subject. This isn’t a slant on him though, if anything it’s about his original misuse in WWE 10 years ago which brings to question why anyone would expect them to use him right this time? Very odd if you ask me.
There’s also Goldberg who, if he does come back, I hope he isn’t given a 30 minute match at Wrestlemania next year. Just let the guy run through a few jobbers and then have one of the newer guys go over him in 10-15 minutes and that’ll bring out the Goldberg nostalgia in everyone. A potential Goldberg return with the video game does raise the question of who he should face. I don’t think they should try him and Brock again, I don’t think it would benefit anybody. Maybe I’ll get into potential feuds if it gets confirmed because it’s all speculation at the minute.
Carl - Out

No comments:
Post a Comment